Sunday, August 26, 2012

Wood Name Sign


Gary and I made this as a wedding present for our good friends, Vera and Elie. Gary rounded the edge on this piece of wood and sanded it for me. I painted it, then found a great tutorial here http://diddledumpling.blogspot.com/2010/05/tutorial-vintage-looking-painted-sign.html 
 on how to transfer words to wood. I typed in the text I wanted in the size I wanted in Photoshop, then I reversed the text and printed it. Then I taped the paper to the wood and brushed water over it. This transferred the text very lightly. Then I filled in the outline with a sharpie. The paint ended up being a little too like light yellow when I was intending it to be a light tan, so I brushed diluted brown paint over the top to make it darker.

Vera and Elie loved it. Vera asked if we put an outdoor sealant on it and I didn't even think about them putting it outside, so that thought didn't occur to me, but I guess that would make sense if you were going to put it outside. I think it's adorable and I want to make one for our house.  

No comments:

Post a Comment